In September, I played a show in Trophy Club, Texas where a ran into a guy named Lil D who I first met at a Super Start event on Colorado four years ago. He is so kind and gave me some of the super fun t-shirts he designs and sells to help bring more awareness about dwarfism. Check out his stuff at https://www.facebook.com/pages/LiL-D-Designs
Being that October is Dwarfism Awareness Month, I wanted to do my part to get a bit more info out about dwarfism to help my friend Lil D!
Here are just a few facts about Dwarfism:
- There are over 300 types of dwarfism.
- There are approximately 30,000 people with dwarfism in the United States.
- 80% of Little People are born to average sized parents, and any average sized parents can have a child with a form of dwarfism.
- Dwarfism occurs in males and females of all races and ethnicities.
- The word “midget” is offensive, Little Person, LP or person of short stature are all acceptable but why not try calling the person by their name instead of a label?
- A person with dwarfism can do anything that a person of average height can do, sometimes they just need to do things a little differently.
- People with dwarfism are of average (or above average!) intelligence.
- Though there are some medical complications that may arise (and vary in severity) Dwarfism isn’t a “disease” and people with a form of dwarfism have a normal life expectancy.
People with Dwarfism are PEOPLE. People worthy of respect and people who have a right to go through life without being bullied.
We all need to do our part to raise awareness, and understanding. We need to educate our own children to embrace the differences that make the human race so beautiful!
Sparrow modeling one of Lil’ D’s shirts.